A LITERATURE REVIEW ON SIX SIGMA DMAIC METHODOLOGY
Mr. Vinod M Vasaiya
Six Sigma is an approach that improves quality by analyzing data with statistics. In recent years there has been a significant increase in the use and development of the Six Sigma methodology in manufacturing industry and others. The Six Sigma approach has been increasingly adopted worldwide in the manufacturing sector in order to enhance productivity and quality performance and to make the process robust to quality variations. Understanding Methodology, key features, obstacles of the six sigma method allows organizations to better support their strategic directions, and increasing needs for coaching, mentoring, and training. It also provides opportunities to better implement six sigma projects.
Vinod M Vasaiya
Six Sigma, DMAIC, Quality.
After comprehensive study of DMAIC approach it has been concluded that a number of industries adapting this approach to solve any quality or production related problems. This approach has been utilized by industrial engineers in library, manufacturing industries and service industries effectively to eliminate any customer related problem. DMAIC approach can be applied in any small or medium scale industry to remove problems associated with the products. The objective of review was to understand the status of Six Sigma as on yesterday, today and tomorrow. From the study done on the manufacturing industries in 21st century we conclude that Six Sigma is indeed a business strategy that can provide a breakthrough improvement in the competitive era. The key strategy for successful implementation of Six Sigma is that the industry applying it should follow a correct methodology and use of tools and techniques is done in such a manner that it gives effective solution to respective problem. Thus a use of proper combination of tools and techniques can lead to great benefits. This study will help manufacturing units to motivate and apply Six Sigma at their organization and reap high benefits. The current status suggests there is future scope of getting better and become a world-class level organization by reaching Sigma level above 5
1. Kunal Ganguly, (2012) ―Improvement Process for Rolling Mill through the DMAIC Six Sigma Approach‖, International Journal for Quality Research Vol 6, No. 3, pp 221-
2. E. V. Gijoa, Johny Scariab and Jiju Antonyc, (2011), ―Application of Six Sigma Methodology to Reduce Defects of a Grinding Process‖ doi: 10.1002/qre.1212 qual. Reliab. Engng. Int. 2011, 27, pp 1221—1234
3. Darshak A. Desai, (2006), ―Improving Customer Delivery Commitments the Six Sigma Way: Case Study of an Indian Small Scale Industry‖ Int. J. Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2006
4. S. Suresh, a. L. Moe and a. B. Abu (2015), ―Defects Reduction in Manufacturing of Automobile Piston Ring Using Six Sigma‖, Journal Of Industrial And Intelligent Information Vol. 3, No. 1, March 2015 , pp 32-38.
5. Darshak a. Desai1, mulchand b. Patel2, (2009), ―Impact of Six Sigma in a Developing Economy: Analysis on Benefits Drawn by Indian Industries‖, Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management,doi:10.3926/jiem.2009.v2n3.pp 517-538
6. Tushar N. Desai and Dr. R. L. Shrivastava, (2008), ―Six Sigma – A New Direction to Quality and Productivity Management‖ Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2008 WCECS 2008, October 22 - 24, 2008, San Francisco, USA
7. Dr. Rajeshkumar U. Sambhe, (2012), ―Six Sigma Practice for Quality Improvement – A Case Study of Indian Auto Ancillary Unit‖, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) ISSN: 2278-1684 Volume 4, Issue 4 (Nov-Dec. 2012), PP 26-42
8. Kim Yong, Kim Jeong, Chung Min Gyo. (2010) A Six Sigma-based method to renovate information services: Focusing on information acquisition process. Library Hi Tech, 28 (4), 632-647.
9. Kumar et al., “Winning Customer Loyalty in an Automotive Company through Six Sigma: A Case Study”, Journal of Quality Reliability Engineering, 2006 (in press).
10. Joseph., “Key Ingredients for Effective Implementation of Six Sigma Program”, Business Excellence Magazine, Vol. 6, No. 4, 2004, pp. 20-27.
11. Hemendra Nath Roy, Sudipta Saha, Tarapada Bhowmick and Sufal Chandra Goldar (2013), Productivity Improvement of a Fan Manufacturing Company by using DMAIC Approach: A Six-Sigma Practice, Global Journal of Researches in Engineering Industrial Engineering, Volume 13, (4), 2013, pp. 1-6.
12. Patel Rumana, Darshak A. Desai “Review Paper: Quality Improvement through Six Sigma DMAIC Methodology” INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING SCIENCES & RESEARCH TECHNOLOGY. ISSN: 2277-9655
13. Rakesh Kumar Tekade, Narendra Kumar Jain, (2008), ―Six Sigma: a Growing Quality Management Strategy‖ article from Pharma Review, Pharmaceutics Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences Dr. Hari Singh Gour University, Sagar. August 2008.
14. Nirav Sindha, Kinjal Suthar “Review on Implementation of Six Sigma DMAIC methodologyin manufacturing industries International Journal of Science Technology & Engineering | Volume 3 | Issue 08 | February 2017
15. J Antony, M Kumar and M K Tiwari, (2005), ―An Application of Six Sigma Methodology to Reduce the Engine-Overheating Problem in an Automotive Company‖ Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture Vol. 219 2005 pp 633-646
16. Darshak A. Desai, Jiju Antony, M.B. Patel, ‘An assessment of the critical success factors for Six Sigma implementation in Indian industries’ International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management Vol. 61 No. 4, 2012 pp. 426-444
17. Darshak A. Desai, ‘Quality and productivity improvement through Six Sigma in foundry industry’, Int. J. Productivity and Quality Management, Vol. 9, No. 2, (2012)
|Download Full Article, Click here|