EXPERIMENTAL COMPARISON OF NATURAL CONVECTION HEAT TRANSFER THROUGH INLINE AND STAGGERED DIMPLED PLATES WITH CONSTANT NUMBER OF DIMPLES
S A Wani ,Kunal K Kulkarni, Vikas Kamalekar
This paper reveals the experimentation of vertical aluminium plate on which dimples are created and arranged in the form of inline and staggered. The heat transfer performance parameters like average heat transfer coefficient and Nusselt number are calculated and compared. The inline and staggered dimple plates are tested for various heater inputs like 10W, 20W, 30W, 40W & 50W. As per the results it is concluded that the staggered dimple plate with 64 dimples is the best arrangement.
S A Wani
Heat Transfer, Natural Convection, Dimpled Plate, Inline and Staggered.
1. Kuethe A. M., Boundary Layer Control of Flow Separation and Heat Exchange, U.S. Patent No. 3,578,264, 1971
2. M. A. Dafedar, Mujtabalayeeq I, Mohemmed Taher M, MohammadIdress urf Shahid I Heat Transfer Enhancement Through Different Circular Diametrical Dimple Surface Under Forced Convection –An Experimental Approach, IJRET: International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology eISSN: 2319-1163 | pISSN: 2321-7308, Volume: 02 Issue: 07, Jul-2013
3. Iftikarahamad H. Patel, Dr. Sachin L. Borse, Experimental Investigation Of Heat Transfer Enhancement Over The Dimpled Surface, International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology (IJEST), ISSN : 0975-5462 Vol. 4 No.08 August 2012
4. Faheem Akthar, Abdul Razak R Kaladgi and Mohammed Samee A Dafedar, Heat Transfer Enhancement Using Dimple Surfaces Under Natural Convection—An Experimental Study, Int. J. Mech. Eng. & Rob. Res. 2015, ISSN 2278 – 0149 Vol. 4, No. 1, January 2015
5. Saurabh R Verma P. M. Khanwalkar, V. N. Kapatkar, A Review on Heat Transfer Augmentation for Various Dimpled Geometries, International Journal on Theoretical and Applied Research in Mechanical Engineering (IJTARME), ISSN: 2319-3182, Volume -4, Issue-1, 2015
6. Amjad Khan, Mohammed Zakir Bellary, Mohammad Ziaullah, Abdul Razak Kaladgi, An Experimental Study on Heat Transfer Enhancement of Flat Plates Using Dimples, American Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, ISSN: 2326-9200, May 28, 2015
7. G. I. Mahmood, M.L. Hill, D.L. Nelson, P.M. Ligrani, H.K. Moon and B. Glezer, Local heat transfer and flow structure on and above a dimpled surface in a channel, J. Turbo machinery 123 (2001) 115-123
8. G. I. Mahmood and P.M. Ligrani, Heat Transfer in a dimpled channel: combined influences of aspect ratio, temperature ratio, Reynolds number, and flow structure, Int. J. heat Mass Transfer 45 (2002) 2011-2020
9. N.K. Burgess and P.M. Ligrani, Effects of dimple depth on channel nusselt numbers and friction factors, J. Heat Transfer 127 (8) (2005) 839-847
10. S. D. Hwang, H. G. Kwon, H. H. Cho, ―Local heat transfer and thermal performance on periodically dimple-protrusion patterned walls for compact heat exchangers,‖ Energy, 2010, vol. 35, pp. 5357-5364
|Download Full Article, Click here|